Funchal, Portugal, 1930
Lourdes Castro was born in 1930, in Funchal, where she lives and works. She studied at the Superior School of Fine Arts of Lisbon, where she concludes a Painting degree in 1956. After living in Munich, she travels to Paris, where settles residency. Aided by a grant from the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, in 1958, she co-founds the project KWY with René Bertholo. After 25 years based in Paris, she returns to Madeira Island in 1983.
The work of Lourdes Castro is inicially developed through collages and assemblages of objects of everyday, to focus afterwards on the theme of Shadow. Her process of experimentation of this concrete theme evolves within various suports, mainly through plexiglas and embroided linen sheets, and lately, develops through the performative level, in what she has called “Theatre of Shadows”. Winner of several prizes, Lourdes is recognized with the EDP Great Prize, in 2000, and distinguished with the AICA Award in the 2010 edition. Her work is represented in several national and international collections, namely: Victoria and Albert Museum, London; Moderna Museet, Stockholm; Von der Heydt Museum, Wuppertal; Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Lisbon; Serralves Foundation, Oporto; Berardo Collection, Lisbon; Manuel de Brito Collection, Lisbon; among others.